Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Luxembourg Day Trip

How great is it that I can wake up in the morning and say, "I think I'll go to Luxembourg today" ? I think it's pretty amazing. Although, truth be told, I've been planning to go for a couple of days now... but the point is that I could just get up one morning and go. An easy hour on the regional train (or half that time on the more expensive TGV).

The city is laid out on two levels, haute ville and basse ville. There are cliff-like walls between the two.

Luxembourg is a Grand-Duchy

The Grand Duke (and royal fam) live in the Palais Grand-Ducal

I wanted to go not only to see the city, but also to see a special exhibit at the Museum of History and Art that was displaying medieval ivory carvings. They were incredible!

There are so many little windy streets with tiny passageways like this one

Les Trois Tours, part of the protective wall around the old part of the city

One of the watch towers on the cliff overlooking the lower city

They call the remains of the tower the dent creuse, the hollow tooth

There are huge, beautiful terraced gardens below the wall looking down on the quartier known as the Grund

Cathédrale Notre-Dame

This marks the spot where, in 963, King Sigefroi established the city of Luxembourg and built his castle here. It's no longer standing, but underground tunnels and other remains are around. Unfortunately the tunnels (casemates) are closed for the winter, but that just means I'll have to go back in the spring!

2 comments:

  1. GGrrr!!!
    Next time you go there, tell me! We'll have a cup of coffee, (it would help me catch up with my english).
    Même chose si jamais tu fait un stop à Thionville, ok?! Le café, c'est moi qui l'offre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good facts gathered... Are there many cars moving around?? Looks like only a few, due to the geographical landscape.... Anyway, thanks for sharing facts and photos on Luxembourg.

    ReplyDelete