Yesterday I brought back my two standard teaching aides for my current unit on opposites - the Sesame Street video and the Beatles' "Hello Goodbye" - in the same 3rd-grade class where the teacher was happy to sing along last Friday.
Since first introducing these songs last week, I've had kids in each class clammoring to see/hear them every day. I expected nothing less, yesterday, when I pulled out my laptop and the entire 21-kid class burst out with excited "oouuaaaaaaaiiisss!" (I swear, French kids shout "yyyeeeaaaaaahhhhh" like American kids do!)
The classroom teacher wasn't there to rock out with us, but I expected some sort of amused reaction from the substitute teacher - a middle-aged guy with a jokester personality - who, up until that point had been quietly correcting papers in the back.
No.reaction.
I was rather surprised, then, after the bell rang and the kids were dismissed for lunch, and I was organizing my stuff, when the substitute came over to me and asked, looking slightly confused, "what year is that song from?" I told him I had no idea as to a specific year, but that it's definitely from the 60s. "Yeah..." he said, "I mean, I think of it as being from my parents' generation!" He sounded rather surprised that I was using something so old...
Walking out the door, he turned back to me and said in the French-accented English I've nearly come to think of as normal, "I say goodbye!!!"
PS: "Hello Goodbye" was released in November of 1967.
No comments:
Post a Comment