Monday, March 21, 2011

Opposites!

I've just started week two of teaching opposites to my students: light & heavy, little & big, near & far, up & down, quiet & loud, slow & fast, young & old... It's something I never did last year, and have been thinking about since the fall. One of the major reasons I wanted to teach opposites:

Just to watch this video over and over with my students. Classic Sesame Street!


Also, were the Beatles not pandering to English teachers everywhere when they wrote the song "Hello Goodbye"??? Talk about a fun, catchy, easy way to learn another handful of useful vocabulary:

You say yes,
I say no
You say stop and
I say go, go, go
Oh, no

You say goodbye and
I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why
you say goodbye
I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why
you say goodbye
I say hello

I say high,
you say low
You say why, and
I say I don't know
Oh, no

You say goodbye and
I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why
you say goodbye
I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why
you say goodbye
I say hello


Plus, it's SOOOOOOO much more enjoyable to listen to the Beatles on endless repeat, rather than some of the dippy kid-songs I have. And it made my day (not to mention gave me *huge* cool-points with the kids) when the 50-something 3rd-grade teacher rocked out and sang along during my class! Memorable moments!

1 comment: