Tuesday, September 29, 2009

School Number Two

My quick bike ride over to école élémentaire Peupion today was a bit akin to my trip to Boston for my visa, but instead of 4 hours in the car for a 5 minute appointment, this was 4km biked for a 5 minute meeting. Not that I didn't fully enjoy the bike ride, on a cool, crisp fall-is-in-the-air kind of morning, but after my nice little tour at the school yesterday, I was anticipating something more. No worries though. The director basically just wanted to know which days I would be at his school, and told me to call as soon as I know when I'll be starting my classes. And that was it. He had to take his class out to recess. On my way out, as I was unlocking my bike, I briefly chatted with two teachers taking a smoke-break out front. In the to-be-expected French way, they weren't overly friendly, but seemed pleasant enough.

My afternoon was quite busy; I had lunch with an assistant, Liz, who will be teaching high school, and then we met up with Michelle, who will be teaching primary. It was fun to just chat, get to know each other, and share our stories about all the quirks of getting settled into a life in France.
And finally, to better explain some of what I was trying to describe yesterday about grade levels in France, I illustrate:

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chart! People ask me about this difference sometimes but i'm never sure...
    A bientôt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh CP... that's when I first started French school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lil issue : 3e is still college class, first lycee class is "Seconde" and not deuxieme, it's like if you say in english : 2th :)

    ReplyDelete