Friday, September 25, 2009

Commuting

My task for the day was to set out and find one of my schools, meet with the director, and set my teaching schedule. Since it was a nice morning, I decided I'd ride the 4km from where I'm living in Metz, pretty much directly south, to my school in Montigny. Great plan. I got directions last night, and aside from streets changing names, it's literally a straight shot.

So this morning, as I set out at about 9.30, I decided I would avoid the heavy pedestrian and delivery-truck traffic on the "main drag" and just head south by a parallel street. Of course, I know the concept of "parallel" doesn't really mean anything when talking about cities that date to the Middle Ages and before, so I don't know why this seemed like such a great plan. But hey, I was trying to avoid dodging business men, children going to school, and grandmothers carrying baguettes. Long story short, my side route out of the center of Metz took a bit more of a detour than expected, and consequently, I had to stop frequently to consult my map. Once I got back on to my planned route, things rolled very quickly (although I can't say "smoothly" about any rolling I'll be doing here, due to the French fondness for cobblestones everywhere!).

I got to my school, rang the bell, identified myself as the assistante americaine - which might as well be my new name - and was let in. The secretary met me in the front hall to say she regretted to inform me that the director was not in today, nor would he be in on Monday. I'd have to come back on Tuesday. And she was very sorry, but she really didn't know anything about what to do with me, so no, she couldn't be of any help.

Not entirely a lost morning, however, since I then went on down a few more blocks and found my other school. It's much smaller than the first, and in a modern building, rather than an old one (with two main doors labelled "girls" and "boys"). And I have to go there on Monday to meet with that director, and now I know my way.

The return trip was much more direct than the one out, since I really knew where I was going that time. I forgot to clock it exactly, but I'm pretty sure I can get to the nearer school in about 20 minutes, and the second is only a few more than that. I'm not sure if I'm going to make my bicycle my primary mode of transportation for getting to school, since I'd be pretty limited in what I can carry with me. Also, it was fairly chilly this morning at 9.30, and after a few more weeks, and having to be at school around 8am, I'm sure I'd be pretty cold. Fortunately, there is a bus that goes right by the schools, and probably only takes about 12 minutes.

I changed studios today, too, so no more bumping my head on ceiling beams and having to sit down to take a shower! More on the new room tomorrow, once I have some pictures to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment