Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Je suis arrivée

I'm here! In Metz. And it's an awesome city!

I got in last night after a LONG, but fortunately non-problematic, travel day. My studio apartment is quirky, but cute. But, *gasp* NO OVEN!!! Fran, you must make travel arrangements immediately! What's a girl to do with no roasty root veggies, homemade pizza or banana bread?

And then I remember I'm in the land of bread and cheese. Not to worry, I'll just have to make friends with someone who has an oven and doesn't mind late-night baked goods.

I went out exploring this morning a little bit with the primary goal of finding bread and a city map, in that order. I pretty much stumbled upon the tourism office when I couldn't resist the pull of the huge St-Etienne cathedral, and then, after passing over several sweet-smelling and eye-catching pastry shops, I found L'amie du pain, The Friend of Bread. I took my ficelle, still slightly warm, and wandered down to the Moselle River, then back toward the pedestrian streets of the ancienne ville (which is also where I'm living). There is so much to explore!

I took pictures during my wandering, too, and will post those hopefully later today.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, don't fret about no oven. Believe me, I know it's shocking at first but it can be done! Use the Frookbook for the moment and I'm going to come up with some new oven-less wonders that you can try. You might also consider looking for a little glorified toaster oven because they can really work wonders!

    But yes, you are correct that I must make travel arrangements immediately. I'd love nothing more than a fresh baguette and some good brie right now.

    ReplyDelete