So my day started when I went to see a man about a bicycle. I had gotten the directions to the shop yesterday from a woman at the
foyer and when I dropped by he said he didn't have a used bike at the moment, but might be able to have one for me in the morning. It was a little suspicious, I mean, where was he going to come up with a bike overnight!?! But I was certainly curious. So I went back. And he showed me a red street bike. It's the right size and he said it was in really good condition. He also said it wasn't going to cost that much. I said I'd think about it, but by the time I was 2 blocks away, I decided I didn't want to wait any longer! I went back and said I'd take it, and he said it'd be ready by 9am!
In the rest of my day, I braved the bus system and went all the way out to the IKEA on the outskirts of Metz. I'd never been to an IKEA before, but
wow, it was quite the experience. I got some plates, bowls and silverware, and linens for my bed. I also got a really cute thermos to take my tea to school in when it's cold during the winter. And really, during any time of the year!
Then I met another English assistant who is living in the
foyer, and we went grocery shopping. And then I made my first dinner in my little studio! Apartment pictures below (click for close-ups).

The
Porte des Allemands, over the Seille River - conveniently located just across the street from the bike shop... rather, the bike shop located itself across the street from the
porte!
My bed with pretty new sheets and quilt
Table and chairs
The kitchenette
My desk, "for the students, or for you, since you're going to be planning lessons," one of the women said.
Great dinner: taboule salad, beet salad, fresh baguette and brie - can't wait until I can make my own salads and soups and lots of other things!
Since you are moving quite fast, you might already have this info...
ReplyDeleteIf you want a small tv, keep in mind that here in France there's a tax on color so be sure to talk about this with people around you...
Don't hesitate to try out different center town boulangeries for the bread, check out which one has the best reputation!
Go to la rue serpenoise for shopping and the FNAC store for culture!
Augh you're living in Medieval World and I am JEALOUS! I'm sort of suspicious of the guy and the bike, but you're good at judging these things. Sorry if it's creepy that I commented twice in a day. <3 mnmc?
ReplyDelete~Beth
Aw Kap I'm so happy you found a nice bicycle! Find some gorgeous country roads or something for me, okay? I love the pictures--it looks like you're going to become right at home. I'm also very happy you took a picture of your first meal...it's a rather momentous occasion if you think about it. I'm SO excited to keep reading about your new adventures, and we can cook "together" this way! Miss you loads.
ReplyDeleteyou've never been to Ikea?? :P
ReplyDelete