Last night was the Marche Illuminée de Metz. This 10k walk took participants all over the city, along the prettiest and best-illuminated streets to see all the beautiful holiday lights and festive decorations. There were lots of walkers out last night, French-speaking, German-speaking, English-speaking, and I caught snippets of other languages I couldn't identify. Even though we've seen the majority of these decorations lit for about 2 weeks now, there was something different and especially festive about walking through the streets, admiring the lights, with lots of other people doing the same thing.
according to the map & historical blurbs, the Palais was built in 1905 in a Flemish neo-renaissance style inspired by the gothic style of the German Renaissance.
the Porte Serpenoise marked the southern limits of the ville de Metz from the 3rd C. to the beginning of the 20th C.
as I've just finished reading Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, I can't help but think of the Phantom's line, "She's singing to bring down the chandelier!"
More lights in the streets
Magnifique! Merci!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a real Victorian streetwalk...or at least Metz's version!
ReplyDelete