Monday, December 21, 2009

More Snow

More snow yesterday - in fact it snowed lightly through pretty much the entire day. It was lovely to watch the flakes swirl by my window. I thought it would be fun to go out and take a walk in the snow, just to see what Metz looked like under "so much" snow... Perhaps not the best idea, see, it seems that the peaceful back courtyard, onto which my windows open, is pretty protected on all sides by other buildings. Out in the open, and in the streets-turned-wind-tunnels, it was an entirely different story! The place next to the cathedral seemed to be having its own private blizzard and out on the Moselle (which was partly frozen!) it was nearly white-out conditions! Fortunately, being the last weekend before Christmas, nearly all the stores were open, even on a Sunday (!), so I was able to bop in and out of shops on my way home, giving my eyelashes time to de-ice and my nose, chin and fingers time to thaw!


But, despite the less picturesque things that go along with wintery weather - slush, salt, numb limbs, and trying not to wipe out on cobblestone streets - I love that it's snowing in Metz. Snow was certainly one of the things I missed the most during my year in Paris (and no, a dusting on a morning in April didn't make things better!). And as lots of locals have been saying, snow right before the holidays really encourages the holiday spirit!

1 comment: