It was a long, busy day, running between my schools trying to finalize my schedule for the year, then going to the bank, and finally to chat with a woman about English lessons. But, somehow this combo dawned on me somewhere amidst the mild insanity of the day.
Potiron is like a mini pumpkin, Cucurbita maxima, as wikipedia tells me, and related to both the butternut and hubbard squashes, though it looks nothing like either one. (If you follow the link, the first picture has one really orange squash in it; that's the potiron.) It's by far the most common winter squash variety that I've seen in this part of France. What's nice about the potiron is that being rather on the petite side, as far as squash are concerned - nothing like the humongous hubbard, it's great for a 2-serving meal; ie: tonight and tomorrow for lunch.
I roasted my potiron slices (skin arduously removed) with nothing more than a little olive oil, black pepper and a smidge of spicy piment - the closest equivalent I can find to the Fran-favorite, crushed red pepper flakes. This powdered version tastes about the same, though with bigger kick. I almost killed myself when I made chili with it for the first time last winter. Anyway, oven roasted squash over quinoa, topped with shredded parm. Perfect. Especially since it's been so darn COLD since the middle of last week.
No comments:
Post a Comment