Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dinnertime Conversation


I have just finished a fabulous - if I do say so myself - dinner of classic lentil froup (that's Fran-Soup) and salad. I made the lentil froup yesterday, when I was cold and damp, knowing it would be, like most foods, better the second day. Such a good decision.

And dinner was followed with a chunk of bread, and, in my mission to tackle all the cheeses at the market, a couple slices of Morbier, a lovely, flavorful cheese with a pretty cool "origin story" (check out the link).

Today I observed 2 classes - 4th grade & 5th grade - at the smaller of my two schools, St-Exupery (St-Ex, for short). The day was short and quite pleasant. This school has a much more intimate "small school" feel. The kids seemed nice, and behavoir was about the same across the board as it was in the classes yesterday - lots of fidgiting and side conversations going on, that the teachers didn't really seem to want to do much about until the overall noise-level got so they couldn't hear other kids.

The teachers were a bit more openly friendly with me here, which was a little unexpected. I know the French "way" is not to warm up to people instantly, but to be cordial and guarded until they've really gotten to know a person. The 5th grade teacher asked if I wanted him to stay in the room while I taught (but of course!), and said he would help out with the discipline - keeping them quiet and on task, mostly. He suggested that I pretty much lay down the law the first day, which is what we were told during orientation, too. And from what I can tell, they seemed excited to know they would be starting English classes next week (as long as they don't see it as time for a mental vacation!).

Tomorrow is my day off, since there is no school on Wednesdays for elementary kids (or teachers). I expect I'll be spending a very good chunk of the day planning for the SIX classes I have to teach on Thursday! Nothing like a baptism by fire, right?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The medieval mystics themselves never had it so hard! And as far as the pumpkin stuff is concerned, I think it's just pumpkin puree. If you want to do it the old fashioned way and can't get canned pumpkin (NOT canned pumpkin pie), you could probably roast and mash a pumpkin. I don't know how ambitious you're feeling! I had a run-in with a butternut the other day that made me re-think my approach to squashes...
    Do the French do pumpkin pie? I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad you made lentil froup! It's good for the soul. Last night I roasted some beets FAIN B style (nice and caramelized) and made spaghetti squash "pancakes" in an ode to Carol and Martha.

    Enjoy your day off, but don't get too stressed about Thursday!

    ReplyDelete