Monday, October 4, 2010

Back to School

Well, I survived the first day back! It was actually a pretty good day, too. I think I've actually learned all the names of my 38 new 2nd-graders, plus the 10-odd new kids in the classes I know from last year. Everything just seems so much easier this year, and I really like that feeling. I know the kids, the routines, the other teachers and some of the basic things that one doesn't figure out until one's done it the hard way.

Some of the kids seem exactly the same; others have grown up a lot over the summer. Most are taller, and some have grown like weeds. Some who were quite chatty have learned to restrain their comments; others haven't. The ones I had last year seem like they will be able to pick up more or less where we left off. The newest English-learners seem excited and curious to try something new. And I'm reminded yet again how quickly young kids can soak up vocabulary.

No more classroom time until Friday, when I'll have my 5th-graders at my main school, and 3rd- and 5th-grades at my second school. The next two days are for trainings and observation time in other classes. I might rather be at my own schools, but at least training days don't start until 9am! You know you work in a public school when...

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy everything is continuing to go well :-)

    ReplyDelete