Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Year 4

After sending out several dozen cover letters and copies of my CV in March, April and May, looking for a job so I could stay in France, just a few days after I got back to the States, I got a YES from the University of Cergy-Pontoise, located about 45 minutes north-west of Paris.

They hired me to be a lectrice, or lecturer, which is really just a glorified name for a university-level language assistant. I'm supposed to be in charge of the language lab for the fall semester, working mostly with first-year uni students in the English department. In the spring, I might have a couple of conversation classes to teach as well.

The majority of the summer has been spent frantically getting together documents to submit for my work permit approval - both by me and by the uni - and then waiting. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Since basically the entire country goes on vacation from July 20th-August 20th, that just about the most inconvenient time to try to have something approved in France.

My contract started 3 days ago, and I'm supposed to start working in 6 days, but I'm still in the US, waiting for the all-important stamp of approval on my documents. But as of this morning, things were moving in France, so maybe I'll be in Boston visiting the consulate in a few days and heading off to France next week....

I'm having flashbacks to a similar situation two years ago....

So, for now, still patiently waiting....

No comments:

Post a Comment