Monday, March 5, 2012

Les squelettes

During my working vacation, I took an afternoon to go to the Galerie d'anatomie comparée in the Jardin des Plantes with a Skidmore friend and one of her friends who was visiting from Italy. I had long heard about this crazy museum where there were rooms upon rooms of animal skeletons - from beasts from all over the world. I imagined miles of rooms with thematic displays: "the cats," "the African savannah," "bears"...

What we found instead was no less impressive, if slightly more disorganized. The gallery is one huge room that is absolutely jam-packed with assembled skeletons of just about any critter you can imagine. And then a lot of ones you can't. First there are the four-legged creatures, not really arranged in any sort of order. Behind are the sea creatures. Birds are in a small section between the two. The walls of the room are lined with cabinets - think cabinet of mysteries and you aren't far off at all! They contain preserved animals and parts of animals - hearts, brains, lungs, spleens, ears, feet, stomachs... all organized by organ/part. So are remarkable, some are very weird and almost none of it was "icky."

Some hoofed beasts

 
  A moose

A narwhal

Whales and dolphins

Upstairs - as if the first floor of hardcore overwhelming visual stimulation wasn't enough - were skeletons constructed from molds of fossils. These prehistoric beasts were some of the most impressive things I've ever seen. The sheer size was astounding and I'm sure they weren't the largest ones around. The fun part was seeing where the fossils were found - lots from different places in France, which was amazing to think about these huge creatures roaming around such a little country. There were also quite a few from the US: Ohio, Colorado... Very weird and very cool.

This apocalyptic-looking beast came from Ireland and more have been found across the British isles and into Siberia. I think this was my favorite.

I'm pretty sure this mammoth-thing was found in France

There were dinosaurs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment