Thursday, October 6, 2011

J'existe

J'existe.

I first heard this sentence four years ago, exclaimed by a tiny French woman while being packed inhumanely into metro cars during the series of strikes during my fall semester at Skidmore in Paris. It was shouted out amongst groans and shoving, and after a very pregnant, very French pause, caused some smiles, sighs of relief and encouraged a bit more humanity in those cramming themselves into our part of the car. Instantly, I loved the phrase.

And I'm employing it here not to cry out from a crowded metro (though that seems like a rather good metaphor for my life right now, at least this week!) but just to let you all know that I have not, in fact, fallen off the face of the earth. Nor have I high-tailed it into the hills (yet!) or disappeared completely.

Last weekend I went away to the south to celebrate the end of summer and my last free moments before class at the Sorbonne started this week. This week is more insanely busy than any week I can remember, and probably more so than any week since graduating Skidmore over two years ago. And I'll be gone this weekend too, with Skidmore.

Donc, voilà. J'existe.

And I'll catch up on my blogging sometime next week. After Monday. And maybe after Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment