Last Tuesday evening, as I was rushing to my private English lesson of the day, I was approached by a young man in a nice suit. Excusez-moi, Madame, he said. We were both crossing a courtyard in a maze of apartment buildings, so I assumed he was going to ask me for directions, so I paused to listen to him. In the very same moment, I noticed he was carrying only a book in one hand. I immediately knew what the story was.
In impeccable, textbook French, he explained to me that he was on a mission, talking to people about their faith. Though, as one anglophone to another, I knew he was definitely American. All I could think, as he finished his introductory speech, was he has utterly no idea he's speaking to someone who isn't French! and not just not French, but American too! I was so completely taken aback by the situation (and slightly irritated because I was already nearly late), that when he asked, croyez-vous en Dieu? (Do you believe in God?) I automatically responded in English, sorry, I really don't have time for this! and turned to hurry away. Though not before I caught his sky-high eyebrows and wide eyes. Oh! ...well... God bless you! he spit out in English, sounding thoroughly surprised.
I couldn't help but laugh to myself as I walked away. The whole experience was so bizarre. I thought, poor guy, he's probably been blown off by French people all day, and one of the last people he talks to blows him off in English. So strange.
The more I've thought about the encounter, though, the more curious I've become. I sort of wish I could rewind back to last Tuesday and ask him the dozens of questions I've thought of since then. Did he learn French just for his mission? Why France? Why Metz? Does he actually speak French, or just know enough to badger people about their religious views? If someone were willing, could he actually engage in a philosophical discussion about beliefs and religion in French? How have French people responded to his knock on their door? Has anyone actually given him the time of day? So many things to wonder about! Other assistants have noticed other pairs of men in suits walking through town recently, so maybe I'll get another chance... Who knows!
I can almost answere to all of your questions because a few years ago, i invited two mormons to pass by my place for tea and a nice theological conversation, (except that they can't drink coffee or tea, or even coke if i remember well so i gave them plain water). Actually they don't stay very long in one place or the other. It works like a company and the management decides where your going. They have to go through with this two or three year mission, it's part of their religious training. They can be five months in Metz and then another five months in Rome. I remember when they left that day, they must have said to themselves that they had just finished talking to some weird alien from another planet because i talked to them about all kinds of theories about God, religion and Science! They don't try to convince you that much though, they don't try to manipulate you. Do they have any success here? Well, more than we could think actually. They help out a lot old people that are sick and all alone in life.
ReplyDelete