I don't know what Spanish cows ever did to get such a bad rap, but if I had 1 euro for each time I heard this phrase… well, I could probably buy myself my very own Spanish cow! In fact, the whole phrase is "to speak [insert language here] like a Spanish cow," and is used to describe one's inadequacies in the language in question. So the sentence usually becomes, "je parle anglais comme une vache espagnole," "I speak English like a Spanish cow."
For some inexplicable reason, the French (and I am completely aware of the huge generalization I'm making here) consider themselves "terrible with languages." Not just English, or German, or even Spanish, but with the learning of languages in general. It's actually quite frustrating to meet person after person who informs me, with conviction, "the French just aren't good at languages." Like it's a genetic fact that can and will never be changed. And hey, ever stopped to think that in the amount of time the French spend discussing how terrible they are at learning languages, they could probably pick up some vocabulary in another language!?
And besides, what do they have against Spanish cows, anyway? My guess is that French cows don't take to foreign languages very quickly either!
Our cows are very smart! well, actually, not so sure about that. When I "rent" one to mow my lawn, I'll be sure to speak to it in various languages and see how it responds. Hypothesis - it will gaze at me, and continue eating.
ReplyDeleteI always thought that expression was actually... "Parler l'anglais comme une vache L'espagnole..." which would be more logical..." he speaks english like a cow speaks spanish..." since a speaking cow is absurd, spanish could actually be equal to any other language, it wouldn't make a difference, it's just placed at the end to make it look even worse. It comes down to..."he doesn't know how to speak the language at all.." Anyway, very interesting, i found this on the web...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.expressio.fr/expressions/parler-francais-comme-une-vache-espagnole.php
Not particular to Metz, Parisians and Val d'Oisiens says the same thing !!! Newsflash: the French do NOT speak other languages like Spanish cows ! And this especially goes for my good friend who is totally fluent in English, yet claims (and honestly believes) she doesn't speak a word. I think the French are just toooo modest for anyone's good ! On a similar note, if they think they're so bad with languages, what in the world must they think of Americans... :o OY !
ReplyDelete