Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spring Happenings

You know it's really spring with the first asparagus of the year! Last weekend I set out to the market to get some more honey from my local honey guy, and some fresh asperagus. I was temporarily bummed when it looked like the most local asperagus being sold at the various stands was the "purple" variety - even though the stuff isn't purple in color at all, but instead looks like something Bunnicula got ahold of! - which I don't like nearly as much as the bright green "normal" asperagus I had my taste buds all worked up for. Then I found one small stand, with a huge long line of people: green asperagus from Alsace, practically right around the corner! There was a big pile on the table and it looked like it had been cut just that morning. I asked for a handful of stalks, paid, and the woman threw in another couple pieces for me.


I sautéd the asperagus with onions and some really fresh, young garlic and tossed it with pasta. The teachers at school the next day were rather jealous of my leftovers! Definitely a success!

In other news: the Centre Pompidou-Metz is opening in 10 days! Everyone here is super excited about the opening and all the fun events surrounding the occasion. I suspect that Metz will be nearly overrun with tourists and visitors for the entire week, since the Pompidou is having portes ouvertes - open doors - from Tuesday the 12th through Sunday the 16th. Plus, Thursday is a federal holiday, and taking long weekends is quite popular in France. Advertising and a big poster campaign for the opening has covered most big cities in France - think the Paris métro.

Centre Pompidou-Metz, it's soon.

1 comment:

  1. A few weeks ago we made a really nice "tart" with puff pastry and asparagus with gruyere/parmesan...you would have loved it. I always forget how awesome asparagus is until I remember to buy it and cook it!

    ReplyDelete