The recent media-invading events with Dominique Strauss-Kahn and the sexual assault charges have thrown me into the position of being the go-to person for nearly all the Frenchies I have regular contact with, to ask me any and all questions about the American judicial system. It's just one of the parts of living the expat life that you don't think about until something happens. And this time, something has definitely *happened.*
I like when I actually can shed light on a situation, and lend myself to the cultural exchange. I mean, that's practically the sub-heading to my job title here. I like trying to explain the often strange processes, practices and nuances of all things USA. And most often, in doing so, I both understand Americanisms better, and wonder how/why in the world we do what we do. It's an endlessly fascinating process.
During my year in Paris, I quickly became an "expert" on the American electoral system, during the primary season before the 2008 elections. Last year and this year I've explained and answered innumberable questions about Obama, politics, religion, politics, the education system, retirement, health care, mid-term elections, politics, religion, nuclear power... Most recently the questions were about the capture/killing of Osama bin Laden.
In a way, I feel obligated to be well-educated in all these areas, so I can appropriately explain and respond to questions, but there are definitely plenty of times when I just have no idea! And quite frankly, most of what I know about the American judicial system (past the basic constitutional rights and what I learned while watching 12 Angry Men in 10th grade) comes from the ever-accurate TV shows like CSI and Law & Order... Definitely NOT something to admit to my Frenchies!!!
I'm already getting a crash-course in French judicial vocabulary, so it looks like I'll just have to do a bit of homework on the side, and try to anticipate the questions!
Also, barely 2 days into the week and I can't count the number of times it's been remarked to me, "le système judiciaire américain, ça ne rigole pas!" - "the American judicial system sure doesn't joke around!" As crazy as the whole situation may be, especially from my point of view, it's certainly not a laughing matter!
And one more thing: the French and their acronyms. OY! (see post title for an incredibly small glimpse at what I mean. I swear they can have entire conversations only in letters!)
The law system here can be just as brutal as it is in the states, the difference is that we hide a lot from the public because we have laws that protect the public image of the presumed innocent at least until he is proven guilty, (and even then he has certain privacy rights). People say here, "les américains ne rigolent pas..." because the system here is much more discreet and somewhat slower. Les deux systèmes ont leur qualités et leur défauts...
ReplyDelete