Fasching is German for the celebration of carnival, right before Lent. It was most fortunate that our two week (ski) holiday started with just enough time to get myself over to Freiburg to witness the celebration and antics in person. I've been hearing about the traditions of carnival since first setting foot in my freshman seminar about the Middle Ages. Combine that with a month spent in Freiburg two summers ago purely for the purpose of exploring the medieval wonders of the city and it's surroundings, and you have me, thrilled that I could finally take part in this unforgettable tradition.
Three days of Hexen (witches), Narren (fools or jokers), trickery and a good helping of German sweets and I was as happy as could be!
Three days of Hexen (witches), Narren (fools or jokers), trickery and a good helping of German sweets and I was as happy as could be!
the guild of the Bächle (the little running-water gutters in the streets) cleaners
Hexen
Narren with a pig-bladder balloon to whack you over the head with
Wood lice
more head-whacking Narren
the Miau Zunft - the Cat Guild
Narren with noise-makers
Narren with bells
I got covered with confetti...
... and then he wanted to be in the picture!
Go here for more pictures of the Rosenmontag - Rose Monday - parade
And go here for pictures of my other antics in Freiburg (mostly involving cake, walks in the woods and sun)
Both those photo albums should be view-able even if you don't have Facebook.
No comments:
Post a Comment