When I went to Nancy (pronounced à la française Nahn-see) last week it was primarily to see the exhibit at the Musée des Beaux-Arts, but one can't help but see the city at the same time! It was a frigidly cold day when I was there - even colder it seemed than in Metz, to the north - with dark grey skies, hardly a soul to be seen in the streets and a biting wind. Suffice it to say this might have tainted my take on the city, so I'll wait to pass my final judgment after a visit on a warm, sunny spring day. But at the very least, there is a lot to see in Nancy. It's a city that looks completely different from Metz, despite how close they are geographically.
Où est la bibliothéque?
The thistle is the symbol of Lorraine, as seen here on the gate to the Public Library.
Place Stanislas
Stanislas Leszczyński was the last duke of Lorraine, ending his rule in 1766. I know basically nothing about him, other than after his rule, the Duchy of Lorraine was passed on to son-in-law and king of France, Louis XV, and thus incorporated into "France" (for the time being!). The major place in Nancy is dedicated to him.
Palais Ducal
Complete with some wonderful carved beings living over the doorway
Porte de la Craffe
Much like Metz' own Porte des Allemands
Your pictures are wonderful, as are the descriptions and background information you provide to go along with them! It looks SO beautiful and interesting!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pics!
ReplyDelete